In this method, recipient sites are not created before the transplantation process contrary to classical FUE method, and grafts are transplanted with special pen-like devices called IMPLANTERS.
Unlike other methods, recipient site creation and transplanting of the grafts in the DHI technique are performed simultaneously which means extracted grafts are directly implanted in the donor area without being placed in a special solution.
You don’t need to get shaved in the DHI method, only the donor area is extracted. In the FUE method the whole scalp should be shaved before the operation.
A patient who received the DHI treatment can go on with his or her regular routine and can recover faster than a patient who received FUE Hair Transplant treatment.
HOW IS DHI PERFORMED?
The hair follicles collected in the hair transplantation operation performed with the Choi implanter pen are separated from the skin and the surrounding tissue and placed one by one into the pen.
-After placing each hair follicle into the Choi pen, the professional assistants will then hand these follicles over to the specialist physician to carry out the transplantation process
– Hair follicles should be placed at the skin-hair angle of 40-45 degrees and at the right direction of natural hair growth.
-In each session 2 to 6 Choi pens and an average of 15-16 pointed Choi implanter tips are used. The tips of these pens are available in different sizes which are determined based on thickness, and other characteristics of patient’s hair follicles.
ADVANTAGES OF DHI TECHNIQUE
- Reduced time of grafts remaining outside the body, thus ensuring strong and healthy placement of the grafts.
- Reduced bleeding during the creation of the recipient area.
- Reduced trauma during graft handling, thus leading to less damage in the blood supply to the implanted area.
- Fast recovery during the postoperative phase
- The recipient site does not have to be shaved
DISADVANTAGES OF DHI
- Dhi technique is more costly compared to other methods because of the implanter costs.
- The maximum number of grafts can be approximately 2.000 grafts in a single DHI session, in FUE the number can be 5.000 grafts. For this reason, patients who need more than 2.000 grafts should receive more than one session in the DHI technique.
CAN EVERYONE HAVE DHI TRANSPLANT?
The initial version of the Choi Implanter pen provided better results on Asian patients with hair loss compared to other ethnicities but The Choi implanter evolved over time reaching to a point where it is now possible to perform hair transplantation to everyone with any hair characteristics, or other hair distribution patterns. The implanter used today has a diameter ranging between of 0.64 mm and 1.0 mm.